Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Deep Rooted Banyan

Deep Rooted Banyan

The traffic is very slow in the road connecting Alwarthirunagar and Ramapuram. The Chennai Corporation officials have been asked to submit the report on the regular traffic jam in this road. They are supposed to submit the report today and the top officials are meeting in the Government High School with the residents.

"The banyan tree near the college is the root cause Sir,” said the officer in charge.

"What could be the solution?", asked the chief officer.

"Nothing than cutting it down."

"I heard it’s a very old one. Are you sure?"

"No way Sir. Thats the only solution."

The corporation came out with a notice to cut down the tree and had also passed it on to all of us living in the area. I'm going to oppose this plan with all my might. This tree is my Uma, I can't see it coming down when I'm alive.

I met Uma when I was in my fourth standard. I was studying in the Porur School and was working part-time as money collector in Venkatesh Annan's six-seated-share-auto shuttling between Guindy and Porur. She was then working with Gupta Garments in Guindy. One day, she got into our auto. On nearing Porur, she handed over a hundred rupees note to me.

"Change illa akka!!! Its five rupees only.", I told her.

"Ayyo, I have no other money. Can you adjust somehow?"

"Not an issue. I'll put from my pocket today. You can give me tomorrow.."

She came in the same auto the next day and gave me the money she owed. She started coming in our auto regularly and we became good friends. Days later, her family came to stay near our house. I started visiting her often near the banyan tree. We used to talk there almost every night for hours. My mother had left this world when I was born. My step-mom was the usual kind we see in certain stories. She wasn't cruel to me, but I was missing that love, that care and affection. I felt that Uma is my amma whom I've been missing all these days. Her marriage was later arranged with none other than Venkatesh Annan. I was on cloud nine when I had to take part in the ceremonies, which were supposed to be done by her brother, she didn't have any though.

Everything was going fine when one morning I woke up to heavy noise outside my home. When enquired, I came to know that Uma had ended her life.

"It was suicide,” cried a lady.

"It all happened after the unearthing of the illicit affair she had with a guy in the export company." said another.

I was taken aback. Uma was never like that. There was something very fishy in all this. But I had no strength to investigate this. I can't dream a world without Uma. I'm going to miss everything - selfless love, encouraging words and above all my Uma.

The following days I spent my time alone under the tree after school and work. It ranges from 9 pm to 12 midnight or full day on a weekend. Nobody questioned me for this change since there's none to care for me. I speak with Uma in my sub-conscious mind sitting there. She even helped me learn my subjects and guided me as a guardian angel.

Now as a manager of a private bank branch, I still visit the place after a hectic day. It is for this reason; I didn't want to see the tree coming down.

I met a famous lawyer Vasudeva Nair and with the help of some of the nearby college students, we started a small movement to prevent cutting the tree that's standing for years. We also filed public interest litigation against the cutting of the tree. We also received the support from certain NGOs. Everybody applauded me for my stand against the corporation, but I never spoke a word about my motive behind it, for I know they'll consider me mad.

(Days later)

Today is the judgement day of the suit we filed. I didn't go to the bank today and even didn't have the courage to go to the court for witnessing the court proceedings. Just then I heard the phone ringing.

"It's Mr. Vasudeva,” told my wife.

With prayers in my heart, I closed my eyes and lifted the handset, "Hello!!! Tell me Sir.”....

-Sudhin.

3 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger luminous_infinitus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger luminous_infinitus said...

what did he say ?
what did he say ?
you left the seeds of curiosity into this poor reader. i could think of a 100 endings to this and I could still be thinking
:)

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger NeevaN said...

What happened then???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home